FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:26 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I took the taxi to Makkasan and the city line to the airport. It was easy, seamless, and took about the same time as a taxi from the hotel. Total cost, 70THB.

I hopped into the taxi at 2:03 at the Four Points Sukhumvit Soi 15. The fare was 55THB, the drive was easy. Even though the meter said 3.1KM, the station was only about 2KM away. The last km was the winding driveway to get up to departures level.

The 2pm run (ex-Phaya Thai) was just leaving Makkasan as I entered about 2:10, and I didn't need the express (my flight was at 4), so I browsed around the, soon to open, airline checkin counters. It looks like a VERY CONVENIENT way to fly out of BKK. I will try the Makkasan checkin on my next flight. It looks like after you check in, you turn left for city line, and turn right for express.

I bought my ticket for 15THB, the new full prices start tomorrow, Jan 4th. Went up the escalator and waited for the next train.

I watched the express train leave first, noting that the express leaves before the normal train, because they use the same track. If I had been in a rush, this would have been a fast airport run.

We boarded the 2:22 train. The cityline was not full, as I have experienced earlier. An uneventful ride had us a Suvarnabhumi airport at about 2:42. About the same time as the taxi would have gotten me there.

My trip was more convenient than I could have imagined. And cut the cost of the airport trip by about 75%. The entire trip cost as much as the tollways alone. Yes, the rates will increase, but even at the new prices 55THB for taxi and 45THB for the train, it's still only a 100THB trip. The express would have me there REALLY fast, for about double that. ^^