FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what to do when airline warned me about numerous throw-away ticketing? ($95 vs $497)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:03 pm
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by trajanc
Personally I always find it to be ridiculous when a business or an entire industry offers pricing that is convenient to them but otherwise really irrational especially to the consumer and then asks the consumer to politely just play along. Especially when they themselves are abstaining from the cost of fixing compliance or rationalizing the prices... Personally I think hidden city ticketing should be abused by everyone as much as possible until the need to abuse it goes away. If the airline doesn't like it's up to them to do something about it.
So you are saying that consumers have a moral right to evade, upend, cheat their way around prices that don't seem fair or rational to them?

No offense, but the consumer is not the best judge. Airline pricing is rational at levels invisible to the customer. It all makes sense at a macro level and is closely tuned into supply and demand.

If the price of Champagne rises before New Year's Eve, should outraged Champagne buyers plunk down the lower, August price and run out the liquor store door? If a nasty little quesadilla costs $10.99 airside but you know it's only worth $4.99, do you have a right to pay the lower price and take off? Of course not. Those are rational prices; the fact that you don't like them is immaterial.

Again: the airline in this case is pricing A-to-B tickets much higher than A-B-C tickets for good supply-and-demand reasons. Customers don't have the right to pay a lower price just because they're outraged by the going rate.