FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Portable DVD players are now really cheap. Useful?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:57 pm
Braindrain

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by rally
can someone post an Idiots guide or a link to taking a DVD with copy protection and region protection and ripping it to a smaller digital file that I can play on my Netbook or a smart phone or even burn it on another DVD and play it in another region,

I am using windows XP

and how long will it take to convert a 2 hour DVD ?

I can rebuild your car motor but this has me stumped !

thanks

Rally
Search "DVD Fab Decrypter" and look for the free downloads. Within the free downloads page is another free software that makes your DVD drive region-free. I should mention DVD Fab is updated all the time and works where lesser ripping programs fail.

Unless you need to save space, you can play this directly on your netbook.

If you need to convert, One of the easiest and fastest (and free) software for Windows (IMO) is XVid4PSP. The paid version of DVD Fab Decrypter can do this, as well. Do NOT use Handbrake as it sucks for Windows. However, I will say one of the saddest things I witnessed was some guy holding up his iPod for an entire long-haul flight watching a movie. As for encoding speed, it really depends on your specs.

Use VideoLAN (VLC Player) on your netbook to play the DVD or avi files. Best free software out there. You're not going to play Blu-Rays on a netbook. There's no point as the screen resolution isn't good enough.