FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transfer from IAD to DC with Infant
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:05 pm
nonesuch flyer

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by DCA writer
The Flyer coach to Metro is $10 each, but it has roomy seats--you should never have to stand--and luggage storage in a separate compartment underneath. I assume they don't charge for under-$2 kids, although their site doesn't say so. The 5A Metro bus costs less, at $6 each, but you may wind up standing and you'll have to fit your luggage on the floor or in a small overhead rack. I wouldn't do that with our own five-month-old in the traveling party.

The Flyer bus runs every 30 minutes (:15 and :45 past the hour, departing from Door 4 of the main terminal), while Metro runs on 15-minute headways on Sunday afternoons. You could wind up sitting and waiting... but that could happen in a cab on I-66 into D.C. too, even on a Sunday afternoon. Metro takes 21 minutes from West Falls Church to McPherson Square with no transfers, after which you'd have about a five-block walk to your hotel. It sounds like you're traveling light, so I assume that last hike won't be an issue.
DCA writer has given some good information of the Bus Metro Option. I will add some "soft" information.

Last Spring I took the Flyer Bus and caught the Metro. Although the experience was not terrible it took so long I decided I would never do it again. First it took me 10 minutes to track down exactly where the bus left from due in part to confusing directions and the complicated multilevel configuration they have a DCA. Then there was a long wait at DCA for the bus. I was told it would arrive in 10 minutes... it was nearly 25 minutes coming. The bus sat there for another 15 minutes or more apparently waiting for passengers. Perhaps because of this delay I missed the metro connection and had to wait another 25 minutes... then had to change metro lines when we got to DC... another 20 minute delay.

All in all nearly three hours from when I had my luggage to when I walked in the front door of my hotel. And that was without much luggage or a baby.

Next time I took a taxi.