FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (pmAA - archive)
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:28 am
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Originally Posted by Student_Flyer
I assume you mean on international flights, because I'm sure on domestic flights you get upgraded fairly regularly as an EXP. Maybe it's just your luck of the draw. Try flying on days with crappy weather.
An EXP who requests and receives a domestic upgrade is not getting an "operational upgrade" S/he is simply receiving one of the benefits associated with her/his elite status. If the same EXP happens to be on a 3 class domestic flight, has her/his upgrade clear into J, and then is rolled forward to F, then it would be an op up.
Exactly. As pointed out above there seems to be some confusion about op ups on the thread. They aren't any upgrade. They are specifically when the airline gives you an upgrade you wouldn't have gotten otherwise due to some operational issue, usually oversold coach cabins and empty seats up front.