FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help please: travelling with elderly but stubborn grandparents
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:40 pm
Dianne47

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
When was the last time your grandparents flew internationally? You could open discussion on that note. Ask them to tell you about their experience in the airports then. Listen to their story and ask questions. Let them talk.

Then you can point out that many things have changed in international air travel. There are so many more travelers now, airports are far bigger, walking is difficult due to crowds. Emphasize that your concern is for their comfort and well-being.

I'm always at a loss when people refuse a wheelchair. My husband's elderly aunt used to refuse a wheelchair and it made it very difficult for those accompanying her. She nearly fell while being frisked, and they would not let me steady her. You could emphasize that so many things have become more difficult at the airport.

Sometimes elderly people refuse help because they don't want people "looking at them." Stress that things are so confusing at airport security and people are in such a hurry that no one looks at anyone else. Good luck.