FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA metal less important for 1P & below these days?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:47 am
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by PTravel
The primary attraction of UA for me, a 1P, is E+. That's reason to stick with UA metal. I've always felt that 1P was, essentially, of nominal value (I buy an RCC membership every year, so club access for *G is no big deal). The day UA eliminates my access to E+ is probably the last day I'd set foot on a UA aircraft. Actually, let me amend that: the day that I can't get an E+ seat, either because of UA pushing up-sells, allowing 1Ks to bring up 100 friends and relatives, or whatever, is the day I'll stop flying UA metal.
That day is surely coming though, at least to some extent. This coming year you're likely going to be seeing formerly CO aircraft on routes you may need to take, and those will not, at least for a while, have E+. And aircraft may be substituted from time to time as well.

If UA were to make a statement that E+ was going to stay, that would be a significant reason to stick with UA metal. But without that statement, it seems like not such a bad idea to test the survivability of a seat on another carrier.

Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
Exit rows, I guess.
Time to start studying up on *G benefits on other *A carriers... maybe that's already a possibility for a *G on some *A carriers? Time to find out!

Originally Posted by IainC
The fact that UA offered 1P nomination as an Elite bonus reward option at 175,000 miles says to me that UA does not see 1P carrying much value these days-perhaps it is the new Premier Associate?
Ouch.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
75K 1Ps will get 2 CR1 -- not an overwhemming amount but not zero either.

1P (over 2Ps) are still
100% RDM bonus,
exit rows,
lower chance of ICC,
higher UDU priority,
*G (especially usefue for *A lounges on international itineraries,
3x70 lbs bags (vs 2x50),

still a health improvement over 2Ps
Agreed, 1P still carries more weight than 2P. But will it matter that much what metal one flies on? It won't likely matter at all for requalification, whereas in the past, if you thought DEQM could be introduced, that was only relevant on UA metal. Regarding the 90k 1P+, who kinda reminds me of "First loser" rather than 2nd from the top (because it's so close and yet loses so much), does the 1P+ also get to earn additional CR1s?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 26, 2010 at 1:56 am Reason: merge