FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to request and eUpgrade questions
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:31 am
The Lev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
How to request and eUpgrade questions

After reading through this thread, I have some questions/concerns.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...des/howto.html

1. If I want to upgrade someone at the gate, currently I can upgrade anybody. Can I still do that, or will these people need to be either on my PNR or one of the four I designate?

2. Today as long as I am confident that I will have the certs when needed, I can upgrade as many flights as I want as soon as I want. It now looks like as soon as I request an upgrade (whether it clears or not) the eUpgrades are taken from my account. If correct, that means that our ability to upgrade flights far in the future is likely to be severely constrained since most of us won't have that many eUpgrades in our account at any given time.

3. If I cancel a waitlisted eUpgrade, how quickly will my points go back in to my accounts (see 2. above)

4. Given that Aerolotto upgrades normally don't clear until after a flight closes, how does AC expect the gate agents on a domestic 777 flight to be able to board all the passengers and have the time to do all the keystroking required to upgrade a dozen or more passengers within a half hour of departure - I assume there will be a lot more work for the GA than simply lifting a Cert. My concern is that there will be a lot of flights leaving with empty seats in J because the GA didn't have the time/desire to process all the upgrades.

5. Noticed this little ditty: If you cancel an upgrade, "Note that if your originally purchased Economy booking class is no longer available, you may need to pay the applicable fare difference." In the past, my only punishment for declining an upgrade because I decide to use the Cert for something else was that I probably lost my orginal seat and could get stuck in a middle seat at the back of the plane. Now I get that and could end up paying hundreds of dollars for the pleasure of not upgrading. ...???

The more I read the fine print, the better I like this program.