FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experience using Marriott Gift Cards (especially overseas)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:54 am
Smart Shopper

Originally Posted by pinniped
I really, really hope that Marriott isn't starting to play tricks with its gift cards. [...]
Originally Posted by cfischer
[...] I believe they are technically only good on commissionable rates. I was once told I couldn't use the card on an LNF rate and wrote off the loss.
cfisher: Marriott offers a variety of instrument for Marriott specific payment like GiftCards (= publicly available prepaid card), Travel Cards (cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/non-commissionable rates), Gift Cheques (may be used for all publicly listed and available room rates and packages), Bonus Bucks (various restrictions like paying publicly available room rates apply), Elite Offer Certificates, etc. All these instruments go with easy to find T&C. To avoid disappointment, everybody is advised to read these lines carefully before s/he buys in.

However, topic of this thread is, if customers are allowed to pay (in part) with Marriott GiftCards if they redeem an Elite Exclusive Offer which entitled them to stay 2nd weekend night for free if the pay a publicly available rate, simple answer is yes. If a hotel does not accept payment by Marriott GiftCards, people don't play by rules established by and communicated from Marriott.

Originally Posted by cfischer
… LNF is non-commissionable and if you read the fine-print on the travel card it does exclude such rates. If I get 19/20 I am actually happy to get another 10% off.
As Marriott Travel Cards are heavily discounted (contact a Marriott Sales Manager in your region, if interested) you either were pulled over the barrel or talk about a different instrument like a Marriott GiftCard.