FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Austin, Texas [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:21 pm
JBeechel

Programs: SPG, Avis First, HHonors
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I find it interesting/almost humorous that you ran into the same problems that I did: namely, slight front desk issues, housekeeping sloppiness/laziness, and extreme TV problems. I guess they haven't figured things out yet.

I would also note that after I checked out, I found an interesting $80-plus charge on my credit card. I was not sent an updated folio even though the property must have my contact details. I have written the property about the unexplained/mysterious charges.
Interesting you saw those charges. I'm calling tomorrow a.m. as I have a charge for 590.40 (well more than my room rate, valet, and room service combined) and another charge for 150.00 even. I can't fathom any explanation for the total on the first charge, much less the second.

It just seems like the group launching the W in Austin has no idea what they are doing.

As an update to this. I decided to call before i posted. Here's the explanation of the incorrect charges on my card:

Internet access. When I mentioned that this was complimentary for Platinums, and after questioning whether I was actually Platinum, she stated this would be reversed.

Mini-bar charges. My girlfriend and I each had a Coke from the mini-bar and nothing else. She did mention to me that it seemed odd there was no water and no other Cokes, but I figured it was just Austin. Nope. It turns out I was charged for a very large mini-bar bill for no reason.

The attitude I received on the call was comical for a hotel trying to build a reputation here in Austin. For the hospitality industry, there sure seems to be plenty of inhospitable attitude from the W/W staff. Give them a call to see if they are trying to ding you for mini-bar... sorry, "honor bar" charges as well. That would be my guess.

I just read my post and don't want to seem like I'm trying to bash the hotel. I sincerely want the W to be a great hotel because Austin needs another true luxury brand hotel. It's just that what I experienced at the W hurts the Starwood brand - something a new hotel should never do.