FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:59 pm
Flyertalker01233
Suspended

Originally Posted by mooper
There are lots of apps that require your FB login/pass to work. As long as the company is trustworthy, you shouldn't worry any more than you would giving your credit card info, etc., to a trusted online site. Topguest is reputable - I wouldn't sweat it.
I disagree. I use Facebook Connect on several sites that I run, but I don't recommend using it as an end user. It's real scary stuff. Every FB users is given a unique User ID #, UID. When you login to a random site with your FB login credentials the first thing they do is download every piece of information that facebook will give them access to including your UID. That UID can then be used with other information aggregated from other companies and connected back to you with the UID. If you don't click the log out button on facebook your session remains open and anyone can grab your FB UID as you surf the web. Go to a website about Activity 1 will make Company X tell Company Y to dispay an ad about activity 1. Some people care about this and some people don't. The difference with giving a CC to someone and a FB id is that 99% of people know what can happen when your CC# information is comparmised, but only 1% know what happens when you FB# is.

If a mainstream website intends to use your information responsibly they will have their own log in system. If they force you to use Facebook connect they are up to no good. My advice is NEVER USE Facebook Connect and ALWAYS Log out when you leave facebook's site.