FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - us ipad in australia? recomendations on good travel laptop?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:12 pm
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by noam
Not sure about rental, but you can get Huawei mifi-like devices from Vodaphone, Telstra, and Optus (and maybe others?). I plan on buying the Optus one when I visit next... AU$129 for 8GB over 6 months. I'll use it in Australia and then unlock it for use when I travel elsewhere.
Hmm, Telestra's Mobile Wifi is $149 with 5 GB of use for 3 months. There is an unlocking fee of some kind which isn't disclosed.

The Vodaphone one is nicer at $99 but only 1 GB of data? Again that one is locked with an undisclosed unlocking fee.

PC World has reviews of both and measured the speed of the Telestra as being faster but with shorter battery life and inferior build quality:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review...e_wi-fi/370262

Only other thing is the Telestra has WPA security rather than WEP that Vodaphone has. Not clear if it supports HSPA or HSPA+ all over the world though and what the unlocking process is.

If it's straightforward, it might not be a bad way to get a Mifi, which aren't cheap unlocked.