FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help please: travelling with elderly but stubborn grandparents
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:50 am
price123

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Help please: travelling with elderly but stubborn grandparents

I am taking my 90 year old grandparents to Berlin in April from Heathrow with BMI. I have managed to get business tickets so we will have lounge access to make things easier.

My grandparents are fiercely independent. I think they would refuse to get in a wheelchair, but I'm not sure they realise the distances involved in navigating Heathrow. They can walk some way very slowly but I'm not sure they'll manage the queue at passport control or standing around for baggage reclaim. I have seen one company offering assistance but it is around £100 which I can't afford. Does anyone know if you can manage IRIS if have very poor eyesight (registered as blind but can see a bit)?

On the way out, there will be 3 people to help them so I am hoping we will be ok. But on the return the only person who can help is my aunt (retired but very mobile).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get an electric buggy (might get them in that) or assistance with getting luggage without getting the wheelchairs. I don't want my grandparents to be upset and I think they would be if 2 wheelchairs appeared. I have looked online but it only says about the chairs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Katja; Jan 4, 2011 at 8:46 am