FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Xian
Thread: Xian
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:13 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Braindrain
When I went, the difference was around $180-200 per ticket. Most couples also work so you've got to factor in the time savings for both people.

Factor in the time (my estimate was around 2.5-3.0 hrs extra, EACH WAY), convenience, and amenities (great lounges at HKG), it just wasn't worth it to me. For me, the time savings was more than worth the $ premium.

But, hey, more power to you for going through Shenzen to save some $.
I kind of agree with you. In spite of all of my rhetoric, I've only done the Shenzhen shuffle two times during the course of the past 10 years, and I had reasons to visit Shenzhen on both occasions.

Furthermore, I shall concede that if I really wanted to fly from HK to XIY on 12/22, I'd find a way to do so for less than $350. Hell, I'd buy DL miles... 20k can fetch HKG-XIY-PVG-NRT, with a stopover.

We often get threads about F v. cheap economy here, and I always vote for the latter. But, my feeling on the HKG v. SZX thing is much more conflicted. I have a friend that has missed two SZX-SHA flights during the past 3 months because his bus was late (totally his fault for overestimating the timeliness of the bus) and ended up waiting an extra 5 hours and buying up to full fare each time; that's no way to live.

Back on topic, the OP can avoid all of the above if he accesses XIY from PEK/ICN/NRT/PVG.