FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2011 revisions - before and after
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:33 pm
Ken hAAmer

2011 revisions - before and after

Here's another direct comparison between the original 2011 benefits and the 2011 benefits with the revised upgrade credit scheme. This example uses a Super Elite travelling YVR-SYD (for no other reason than that's what I'm most familiar with):

While it is better than it was, it still leaves a Super Elite with insufficient upgrade ability to duplicate the 2010 program, even though every flight is in the medium fare M class (unlike the 2010 program which allowed up to 3 return trips on low fares, using red Special SWUs). A Super Elite frequenting this route will still be short of upgrade credits on at least 3 one-way trips, even though they would end the year with 18 upgrade credits.

Even if a 2010 Super Elite was short of SWUs, it's still possible they could earn additional (S)SWUs using NAUs if they had any North American travel. However, with the upgrade credit system, there is simply no way that it is possible to earn additional upgrade credits. It is simply impossible for even a Super Elite to duplicate their 2010 performance, even though they are paying the (ostensibly) medium fare on every trip (~$4000 return).

I would encourage others to post their examples and/or experience as well. I will be posting other examples (most likely YVR-LHR), as well as an example using a modified upgrade credit earning scheme where upgrade credit earning is accelerated, but results in the same or fewer upgrade credits being awarded.