FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using an iphone with a pre-pay AT&T SIM
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:42 pm
rpjepson

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Using an iphone with a pre-pay AT&T SIM

Hi,

Apologies if this is a silly question. I am based in the UK, so my knowledge of US cell providers isn't great. My family live in the US. I'm trying to find a used iphone for my daughter for Christmas. Currently, she has a pay-as-you-go AT&T SIM. I see that the majority of used Iphones seems to be locked on to AT&T. I know that certainly on my provider here (T-Mobile), I can put a pre-paid SIM from the same company in a contract phone, and it works.

I don't want to spend $200 on an iphone, only to find it doesn't work with her existing SIM. Plus, can you imagine how well that wouldn't go over on Christmas morning? A fate worse than death

My questions therefore are these :-

1.) If I buy a phone that is still locked to AT&T, will it work with an AT&T pre-paid SIM?

2.) If the phone is unlocked, will it work with the SIM?

3.) We generally buy her the $60 vouchers for her current phone, which get her unlimited calls/texts for a month. This avoids the horrors of a teenage-based phone bill weighing 50 pounds flying through the letterbox

Assuming the SIM works in the phone, I assume the $60 voucher wouldn't cover any data costs? Is there an AT&T voucher that allows unlimited data?

Thanks for any help,