FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quest. for PLT members : How many gold referral bonuses did you get ?
Old Jun 18, 2001, 6:57 pm
ILTE_Miles

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by sunil:
From my experience 11 cards given out and
0 qualified
</font>
Qualified--past tense? The qualification period isn't over yet...there's still time...

Quite disappointing since all except one wrote very convincing email's about pending stays .</font>
Have you written to any of them to inquire about what happened or whether they still anticipate completing the required stays? Perhaps something happened to change whatever plans they made--perhaps uncertainty in the economy made an impact on future travel plans, etc. Were their planned trips business? leisure? both? Perhaps an employer placed a hold on future travel.

Consequently I have stopped giving these cards out blindly and now only do so to people I personally know.</font>
Personally, I'm very glad (& grateful) that the Platinum who referred me didn't have the same approach (though I understand why you gravitated toward such an approach). Although he didn't know me personally, & didn't know that I had stayed in hotels over 50 nights last year, & had no idea that I had completed (& prior to the referral) double-digit nights @ Starwood this year, he nonetheless trusted me when I informed him that I had upcoming stays in the next few weeks that would more than satisfy the stay requirement (& did).

Arguably, I ought to be a comped Platinum. But until such a thing happens (if it does), I am grateful for the Gold referral, & despite ultimately qualifying for Gold (whether determined by virtue of stays or nights), without the referral I would not have been able to obtain the additional Starpoints or upgrades during the timeframe i/w I was not officially recognized as Gold.

No point in diluting gold. Comments ?</font>
I realize that my stay "pattern" may not have been typical for a Gold referral, & while I firmly believe that I did not dilute the pool of Golds, I would think the dilution potential could perhaps be minimized by bringing up the topic w/ a potential referral--point blank--simply inform them that you do not wish to contribute to the dilution of Golds, & that you would like to proceed w/ a referral only if the person feels quite certain that they would complete the # of required stays. I realize that some people might not complete the # of required stays even if they conveyed a firm conviction that they would, but such an approach would perhaps make some "think twice" & possibly serve as a kind of better-than-nothing "weeder" to provide a subset whose intent is sincere (knowing that for some, something may happen to come up & interfere w/ their ultimately being able to complete the # of stays).

IMHO, I think you ought to communicate back w/ those you referred, & inquire about the status of their stay count. Although I pro-actively updated the Platinum who referred me (& after each qualifying stay), & told him that I would inform him when my points posted (I considered each to be practicing "the Golden Rule" [no pun intended]), I realize not everyone would do such.

[This message has been edited by ILTE_Miles (edited 06-18-2001).]