FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]
Old Jun 5, 2001, 9:25 pm
MilesDependent

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by RoarAhead:
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about this property from personal experience. Thanks in advance.</font>
I stayed at this hotel early last year. It's very modern, and the rooms are good (standard Sheraton - not amazing, but modern and reasonably sized), but the staff are simply not good. I had to use their Business Centre, and no one could speak any English. I also was being delivered some airline tickets to the front desk of the hotel, and I remember it took them about 25 minutes (no kidding) to understand what I was talking about.

A colleague from Australia tried to call me at this hotel, and he was told I was not there. The colleague then asked if they could see if I was having breakfast in the hotel (it was quite early, like 7am). The phone operator then asked my colleague in Australia if he would like the American breakfast or the Chinese breakfast.... It was one thing after another at this hotel. Not what I expect from an international hotel - even in the middle of China.

Another thing - the location of the hotel is not too good. The Hyatt is much more in the thick of things. Although to be honest, I wouldn't be doing too much walking around in Xi'an anyway - it felt like a very very unsafe city to me - and I've travelled right through China.

The Hyatt Regency is a far better bet - and is where I stay now - the place is just as modern and nice, and the staff are significantly better (but still not up to scratch) Plus .. that's where Bill Clinton stayed, they've got photos of him everywhere!!