FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Austin, Texas [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:38 pm
JFKSFOLAX_friend
Suspended

Arrow W Austin, Texas [Master Thread]

Stayed this past Sunday night on a free weekend night. It was unavailable for the longest time but a room popped up at the last minute and I grabbed it. Strangely enough, there were C&P rooms available. William tried to help me with the issue but was never really able to get anywhere with the property.

This property clearly has teething issues, but that's fine. It opened on Friday and I visited on Sunday, so that is to be expected. At check-in, I was told that the suites weren't in inventory yet. I was told that I was upgraded but the room was fairly small, particularly for a non-NYC location. I can't imagine a smaller room, though I guess they exist. I have pictures that I will post later. The room I was initially assigned had a beautiful view overlooking a construction site and the USPS elevated parking garage.

Random thoughts:

1) Check in was fair. Was told that suites weren't available (fine). I inquired about the gym and was told that it wasn't open yet. So, when I asked for alternatives, I was told that there was a Gold's Gym down the street. When I asked for a pass, I was told the hotel didn't have passes. So, I had to push a bit. I basically told the agent that if the hotel's gym wasn't available, they would have to get me a pass somewhere.

I am fine with a hotel opening prior to the gym/spa or other amenities being available. But, a hotel of the W caliber/star level/price range obviously has to offer alternatives if their basic services are unavailable for any reason. I mean, c'mon. (I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian right after it re-opened. The property's spa and gym weren't ready. The hotel immediately offered me the option of using the gym at the Westin (next door) or the 24 Hour Fitness down the road. I selected the 24 Hour Fitness and I brought them the receipt and they took it right off my bill.)

After arriving in my room, someone else from the front desk called and told me the gym was, in fact, open. So, the check in was so so.

2) In the rooms, electrical outlets are very hard to come by/find. This is shocking considering this is a NEW hotel. How can new-build aloft hotels have plenty of outlets but not a new W? Behind the desk, there was one spare plug (the other plugs were used). To access the plug, you have to lie flat on your back on the floor, head under the desk, and squeeze your arm behind the desk. But, I needed to plug in my computer and that was the ONLY choice. When I was using the wifi and laying on the bed using my computer, I was completely unable to access any outlets on the pillow side of the bed. Luckily, my long cord reached completely down the length of the bed and to an outlet a few feet from the TV near a chair. But, there was no outlet whatsoever on the pillow side of the bed.

3) There is wired internet on the desk and wifi.

4) One bar of soap at the sink. No bar soap in the shower, though there is shower gel.

5) There was no door separating the shower from the rest of the room...you walk into the room, take one or two steps, and to your right is the bathroom sink (no door). To the right of the sink is the shower with a glass door. To the right of the shower is the toilet room (that has a door, thankfully).

6) No bottled water (for Platinums). The only water in the room had a $7 price tag.

7) On the bed was an opened book, also with a price tag. Half of the things in the room that weren't bolted down had price tags, it seemed. A bit tacky.

8) On the bathroom mirror was a sticky note that said there would be a $200 fine if anyone smoked in the room.

9) Water pressure was good but I couldn't really get the water super hot. I left it on full max hot mode and it was good for me. And, I am not a super hot water shower guy, typically. If you are the type that likes HOT showers, you may be out of luck.

10) I returned to my room on Sunday afternoon from brunch to watch some football. Of course, my cable didn't work. Several technicians were called up and finally it was determined that none of the TVs on the 15th floor worked. After about 45 minutes the property found another room on the 12th floor that had working cable. The very nice hotel manager picked up a drink at the bar for the inconvenience. We chatted a bit and he was great...

11) The (same type) room on the 12th floor had a great view of the river...really beautiful view. I wonder why I didn't get this room from the get go. If there weren't suites available (which is fine), they could have at least offered the better view, no? Maybe it wasn't ready when I checked in? Whatever, that's fine. Not a killer, just interesting.

12) The gym is amazing for a hotel. Very impressive. Above ground, tons of light. Obviously, brand new equipment. Great gym. There was an attached yoga room/studio for jumping rope and stretching, etc.

13) On both floors I was on (12 and 15), housekeeping left their carts on the floors all hours of the day and night. So, when I got back to the property late Sunday night (after midnight'ish?), there were still housekeeping carts on the floor. There was also a housekeeping clipboard just laying on the floor in the hallway near a room door. Also, the door to the staff elevators was propped open with a wooden wedge and there were dirty room service trays stacked and laying around in front of the service elevators. When I left in the morning (6 AM'ish?) the door was still propped open and the dirty room service trays were still stacked up (gross, right?). It was such an eyesore. And the lighting in the service elevator hallway is so awful compared to the regular hallway lighting. Obviously, that service elevator/staff door shouldn't be permanently propped open.

14) When I left on Monday morning, many of the rooms still had Sunday morning's newspaper laying in the hallway even though the Monday's paper was also delivered. Sloppy.

15) Before I left for dinner, I called Whatever/However (or whatever silly name the W calls its version of "Service Express") and asked for turndown service. The agent had no idea what "turndown service" was. So, I just asked for some fresh towels. Several hours later when I returned, there were no towels delivered.

So, overall, the hotel is clearly still finding its way. Let me be very clear: this hotel will print money. Austin is often "under-hotel'd", particularly when they have those "hipster" events in town (music, technology, etc.). The property is in a great location (near the main road to/from the airport). It is right on the river allowing great views. It has a great bed, great gym, etc. But, clearly some teething issues with housekeeping, front desk training, etc.

I will return, hopefully to see the inside of a suite.

If anyone has questions, fire away...keep in mind I was only there for one night.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Dec 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm