FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:55 pm
hotdogs

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Is there a protocol for canceling a requested sticker upgrade before it's processed/confirmed? I read that after it's applied, you can reject the upgrade at the gate and be moved back to Y, but you may lose your seat and there needs to be space.
Whenever I wanted to cancel an upgrade request, I always called the elite number (PLT at the time) to handle the request.

As you noted, if you wait until it's confirmed, you may get an undesirable seat (or worse, the flight could be completely full with no seat to give to you) if you decline the upgrade. My recommendation would be to get things squared away asap if you no longer want the upgrade.
That happened to my son a few weeks back. My VIP cleared for him on a transcon on a scheduled 762. But when they switched it out for 757 I tried to downgrade him to the back but Y was sold out! Lucky kid!