FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Element Times Square West, New York City [Master Thread]
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:05 am
Kiltboys

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
Avoid this place for the time being

I just got off the phone with the GM to inform him of our horrendous stay last weekend. He apologized profusely and said that the hotel was suspending sales and bringing in outside help. Here's the Readers Digest version of what happened:

- Check in Friday 3 pm. Communications between housekeeping and front desk break down. 50+ people sitting in lobby and lounge area with their suitcases waiting for a room. Wait was about 90 minutes.

- Friday 5 pm. As it was my birthday (emailed ahead to inform them), there was a knock at the door and employee wishes me "Happy Birthday" and hands me an opened, 3/4 full bottle of white wine with a cork in the top. I was speechless. Clearly, did not drink the wine.

-Friday evening- opened cupboard to get a water glass and noticed glasses/plates/bowls were all put away soiled (food debris/fingerprints/lip prints). Loaded them into the dishwasher, but couldn't find soap. On our way out, spoke to the front desk and asked them to go up and run the dishwasher and I would put them away later.

-Later Friday evening- returned back to the room. All dishes/glasses were put back in the cupboard, still unwashed. Still covered in food debris and prints.

- Saturday morning- 8 people waiting on 32nd floor for elevator. Sign on elevator says something like "If you want to use elevator, please call front desk". It took 3 calls and 40 minutes to get down from the 32nd floor. Some people walked down from above us. Elevator stopped at every floor.

-Sunday 5 pm- arrived back to room to find it unserviced. Front desk claims that they are a green hotel and don't make the beds everyday. We asked about towels etc. and in about 30 minutes there was someone servicing the room.

The rooms themselves are great. We had a corner studio.

We spoke with junior staff all weekend as we were told that the GM works 9-5, Monday to Friday. I had a very frank conversation with him this week and he did the right thing re: compensation.

I would give this place a year. Currently, $85 a night is too much IMHO. It's basically being run like a youth hostel.