FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Munich-Hallstatt-Vienna-Prague - Itinerary suggestions?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:59 pm
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Understand your desire to drive. Sometimes, I am that way too. When I do, I value the journey just as much as the destination.
Disclaimer: I have NOT driven in the winter. Be sure to check roaod conditions.
I did Austria 5 years ago and had covered quite a bit of ground in about 10 days. Beautiful country! Love the lakes and mountains of Austria (given my home base SFO that is close to many lakes and the Sierra). My photos do not do justice. They should give you some idea. See link:
http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trave...19555984_5tpdL

Here is one suggestion for Monday (you don’t have a great deal of daylight if you pick up the car at 2pm; you won’t see much other than just driving to Hallstatt). If possible, take an early flight from London. My suggestions here assume you begin in the morning.
From Munich to Hallstatt route (230+ km, no biggie by American standard in driving):
Start Munchen – Salzburg – Fuschl am See – St Wolfgang im Salzkammergut – Bad Ischl – Hallstatt
Note the shorter day light hours, and your last leg is mountain road driving.
Munchen – Salzburg on Autobahn with possible stop in Chiemsee (do your research about it). Depends on time, you might want to sneak into old town Salzburg for a break before the drive up the mountains/lakes region. Suggested stops: Fuschl am See; St Walfgang im Salzkammergut; Bad Ischl, then Hallstatt. Photo-op 360!

I have no recollections about restaurants, sorry. I recall they were all great (apple strudel & lake trout!).

For your Wednesday drive, what I outline would be too much to do in a day. Up to you to sort them out.
Halstatt – Ebensee – Gmunden – Wels – Melk – Wien. OR if you still have day light, Try from Melk – Spitz (along the Donau) – WeiBenkirchen in der Wachau – Krems an de Donau – Wien.

Worthwhile to stop: Gmunden (for scenery), Wels (for architecture); Melk (for Stift/Abbey) – Krems (wine town).

No driving experience to share for the balance of your trip.