FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking trains in India
View Single Post
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:05 am
ROW2Aisle

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Just finished booking two trips a little while ago for tomorrow (up and down Ernakulam to Trivandrum for same day December 9). I booked the return first from Trivandrum to Ernakulam for the 2:30 PM Chennai Mail using my US issued AMEX and it went through with no problems. Done this numerous times. I'm a registered user on their web site.

The reason I did the return first was that the web site did not show the trains for the outbound with a highlight stating that the train list was not available. Thus the reason for doing the return first. Then I realized that the Indian railway web site does not allow internet booking for trips within 24 hours. So for the outbound I used the Cleartrip web site and purchased the ticket charging it to my US issued Visa card for a trip commencing in less that 24 hours that the Indian railway web site does not allow.

The problem I now have is that I'm traveling and the confirmation and eticket are emailed to me and the railways require a printed sheet. Where will I find a printer I'll try to talk the TTR into accepting the PNR on my iPhone. Yes Painintheuk this is a pain in the behind