FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:30 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl22
MANY threads related to AmEx companion certificates ... wrt L/U/T my experience is that the same inventory has to be available on both legs of connecting trips (e.g., xxx-MSP in L connecting to MSP-yyy in T doesn't work)
Originally Posted by gatorbluedevil
I believe this is the problem that the OP was trying to explain (though not clearly). Let's say you are trying to book xxx-ATL-yyy on the outbound. xxx-ATL must be in the same fare class as ATL-yyy. If one is T and the other is L class, the certificate does not work. Same applies for return.
The same thing causes problems on revenue tickets. Some fare classses cannot be combined and attempting to force it by doing a multicity booking can result in a much higher fare.

Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe they changed something since then. Last year the online system wasn't really working fully correctly either, and call agents would help with a lot of the bookings. This year when I came across the issue, I escelated it up and was told that the segments have to match... ie no 'broken' fares for an outbound or return. Supposedly the online booking system won't return results unless the segments are the same now.
Originally Posted by jrl22
I would suggest the system is working "as designed" ... which, in terms of customer satisfaction, may or may not be the same as "correctly"

I think the term is "married segments" for AAA-BBB-CCC travel: the O/D trip (AAA-CCC) has to be available in a single inventory (L/U/T)
This is my understanding.

I've also seem the married segment rules come up in using SWUs or miles to upgrade; both segments can be available in upgrade inventory, but you can't have any upgrades when using both segments (unless you book it by breaking the fare, which then becomes much more expensive).

It's very frustrating.