FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:10 am
DaddyRabbit
Suspended

AmEx Plat

Originally Posted by dontflydeltawithamex
I have a Platinum Delta Skymiles with AMEX card that "gives" a companion certificate annually as a benefit. This year I wanted to use that companion certificate to take my family out to Colorado to go skiing in February. I checked Delta on-line to purchase 4 tickets using FF skymiles and then tried to book 2 more tickets using the companion certificate. When I attempted to book the ticket I was told that the flight was not available in the Fare class requested. However, when I tried to book the ticket and "pay with miles" using the AMEX card and FF miles the flight was available. I checked the terms and conditions of the certificate and it states that all travel must be in the U or L class of service - which this ticket was doing. Well, an unwritten stipulation is that all legs of the trip must be in the U or L class of service even though the terms and conditions of the certificate do not state this. Moral of the story is this - don't buy the AMEX Delta skymiles card if you think you'll be able to use the companion certificate as a benefit. To make matters worse - I called Delta to file a complaint and they told me it was due to AMEX terms. So, I called and emailed AMEX - they in turn told me the certificate was the property of Delta. So much for companies being accountable for the products they sell. Once I use all my FF miles with Delta I will move my business to AmericanAirlines and never fly Delta again. I will also tear up my AMEX! Shame on you AMEX and Delta!!!
I have had an AmEx DL Plat card for a decade and think it is great, including the companion benefit. One must, of course, plan ahead. There are few last-minute seats available. My wife accompanies me to a meeting in the U.S. each July and we have had no problems at all. In fact, our summer trip to AZ was great; on the first legs were were upgraded to FC and my wife, the companion, received SkyMiles.