FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:46 pm
mynetdude

Originally Posted by greentips
No. The cop must use his judgment. They are called by citizens for all manner of reasons, including not so valid ones. Your argument strengthens Phil's defense, in that if the TSA issued an unlawful directive, Phil is within his right not to obey that unlawful order. This could be explained to a cop, provided the cops are willing to listen. Not all are.

Once the cop demanded Phil identify himself to the police, as part of their investigation, if indeed he did make such an order, then Phil is required to identify himself. That's the law. He did not/does not have to identify himself to the TSA, according to what I have read and understand. If the police only ordered Phil to identify himself to the TSA, and not to the police, then they are indeed out of line. This will be the questions before the courts.

I would never argue that someone refusing to show or disclose identification is reasonable suspicion, ever, absent the rather strict limits the Supreme Court has placed on this. The grounds for reasonable suspicion in this matter arise from the TSA complaint. That Phil's subsequent actions and those of the police and/or TSA may or may not have exacerbated the situation is another matter.

The police may not walk up to me in a public place, and without justification order me to identify myself. I would be perfectly justified in ignoring such a request. However, if I just left a liquor store in the inner city and the alarm was ringing, they would be justified as they had clear indications that a crime had been committed, and as they had observed me leaving the store.
Seems like we're getting on point here I don't have a problem producing ID as required by law, simply being asked to produce ID in this case like Phill I would have refused, A) there isn't any reasonable suspicion and B) if the LEO ordered him to produce ID for TSA then as you said, this is questionable.

The LAW requires a person to produce some kind of ID identifying who they are, but the LAW says LEOs can't do this without suspicion (IIRC also known as probable cause) I don't think there was any, but I wasn't there.

There doesn't seem to be a valid or non-valid reason for the LEO to prompt them to ask for Phill's ID in this thread or did I miss anything? Again, in a hypothetical situation if I'm an LEO using my judgment/common sense, where have I need to ask Phill for his ID? He hasn't broken any laws that we can see here on this thread; now Phill may have broken the law by not producing ID to ABQ PD but without proper probable cause Phill breaking the law seems to be moot.

Cops are getting dumber, they are just humans in a uniform with bling blings.