FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CLOSED] Four Points Sheraton Bur Dubai [Master Thread]
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:22 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I have to lay over in Dubai twice in February. On the first one I don't care because I will just sleep and leave, but on the way back I will have about 6-7 hours to look around - have not been to Dubai since 2001. Which SPG property will make it easy to do some sightseeing in such a short window? Basically I want to see the things that were added since I was there. I was there for over three weeks last time but I know a great deal has changed.

I was looking at full service for the lounge but if 4 points will give me B-fast it may not matter. Location I think is more important.

Thanks!
For the quick overnight, I would definitely say Bur Dubai 4points. If the metro station is done, you can go door to door, pretty quickly, for very very cheap. If it isn't, there's another station that is 1km in the other direction. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the round trip metro fare would be less than the base fare for the taxi out of the airport.

For the long stay, you've probably seen bur/old Dubai in 2001, so I'd rule this property out. Jumeriah is pretty isolated, but if you want to see the ridiculousness and un-Arabness that is Dubai, I'd give that a quick walk. Palms is worth checking out, and of course, the Burj Kalifkha.

4 points "downtown" (located weirdly by some freeway) would be my choice for this. You're in the south where all the new stuff has been happening. Taxis are cheap, and you'd be 5-15 minutes from everything new.

The Westin beach resort is also close to Palms and Jumeriah, and that would be neat if you want the resort thing, but kind of counter productive if you want to get out and do stuff .

I don't know about the location of the other properties, so I'd get more opinions on this.