FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping in Mexico
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:26 am
itsme110

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by mshaikun
What's the latest on tipping in Mexico, Cancun in particular?

I usually don't ask taxi dricers for change if cange would be 10 pesos or less. To have a private service take us to the resort and load and unload luggage, I tip $2 per person with a $5 minimum.

At the hotel they suggest $2 per bag. We usually have more than 5 bags and less than 10 for 3 to 5 of us. I tip no more than $10. This year the three of us will have 4 bags and a back pack and we will likely tip $8.

At restuarants if tip is added, we do not tip except for exceptional service. Then we add around 5% or $1 per person, whichever is more. In fancy restaurants where tips are not added, in Cancun we tip 155.

Is this about right?
There are no rules. I tip cab drivers about the way that you do. I always ask how much itīs going to be before we start, and if they try to īgrindīme, I give them exactly what they ask for. If they are the least bit pleasant, like you, I tip about 10 pesos.
Your tips for bags seem a little high. Remember that a skilled construction worker in Mexico makes about 350 pesos per day. If you are tipping 120 pesos, he only needs 3 customers a day to make the same as the above worker. For 5 bags, I would tip 50 pesos.
At restaurants, the most servers have to split their tips. Their wages are also minimal, and in resort areas, they only have about 4 months of high season. If the restaurant is including the tip, it is generally 15%, so if the waiter is nice, I will slip him an extra 30-50 pesos.
I tip the valet parking guys 20 pesos everytime they get my car, and leave a tip in the room for the maid when we are leaving