FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:44 pm
sgblack

Programs: DL Diamond & MM; Lifetime AA Plat; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; AvisFirst
After reading CE's review of the Fairfax I had to try it out as I also like small boutique and historical hotels. On one of my first trips to DC, I stayed at the Jefferson and never forgot the service and experience. Unfortunately there are not many of those types of boutique hotels that were part of my frequent guest programs until I joined SPG this year and learned about the Fairfax. Now I have a new ATF in DC..

If you like people remembering your name, what you had to eat or drink the day before, and treat you more like a house guest than a hotel guest, you will like the Fairfax. .For me however, it was the consistency of service delivery that set it apart from ANY hotel that I have stayed in years. Turn down service, candy on the bed, newspaper at the door, water and ice refreshed, and all expendables renewed without fail every day for the entire 5 day stay. Every replaced item was in the exact spot it was the day before. I have never seen this at other hotels (including *wood) over longer stays..

The hotel was sold out and so I was not able to get a suite, but I got a large room facing Mass Ave. .I was a little worried about the noise and light from the previous posts, but I had none of these. I slept perfectly in a very elegant and historical room. Despite being sold out, I was amazed that I never waited for more than 30 seconds for the elevator to open up. In fact, the lobby elevators were always waiting (doors open) when I arrived. This may be an anomaly according to a lobbyist friend who said that many times visiting diplomats will rent an entire floor and sometimes rooms above and below the diplomat's room for security reasons..

The bar reminded me a lot of the Jefferson with it's nooks and crannies where you can have private conversations for two or host large groups without interfering with other groups or guests. I noticed a lot of folks use the Fairfax bar as a meeting point to go out for dinner somewhere in DuPont Circle or the Jockey Club at the Hotel.

My only complaint is that others appear to like this hotel as well and getting a room at a corp rate will be challenging. ^