FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Soda & Ice Cream for a Float You Like to Make?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:27 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Originally Posted by mbstone
This.

The secret to making a float is to first put a tiny bit of soda in the bottom of a tall soda glass, add a tiny bit of ice cream, and mix thoroughly. Then add ice cream and soda. The soda will have a slightly enhanced ice cream flavor which is what you want.
When I read that (and because of part of my youth behind a drugstore "soda fountain" counter), "Ice Cream Soda" comes to mind, Special heavy tall conical fluted soda glass, flavoring, a bit of vanilla ice cream, a shot of carbonated water (under pressure - not bottled Club Soda, Seltzer, etc.) stir, add more carbonated water, a a dip or two of vanilla atop, then whipped cream and a cherry.

A Float: These days, Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell Homestyle Vanilla, not mix, just floated.** Long ago, XXX Root Beer (Draught) or maybe A&W, Vanilla Ice Cream floated in the mug.

** Best enjoyed at the soda fountain in the Dr. Pepper Museum, South 5th near IH35, in Waco, Texas, the birthplace of Dr. Pepper which claims to be the country's oldest "branded" soft drink. The museum also sells Dublin, TX bottled "Cane Sugar" Dr. Pepper in small bottles, a rare claret among everyday jug wines

Then you get to the esoteric remedies like "Banana Egg Malt".
Many years ago my wife and I were stranded in Waco for a few days waiting on GM to ship a part to fix our car. I had no idea that was there .