FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seoul Food - Korea
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:33 am
mosburger

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by ZZOOzzoo
]I'm afraid a variety is too much to ask for in a country that can't even get "basic" cuisines like Chinese and Italian right.
Try for example the "La Cucina" opposite from the Grand Hyatt or the "Il Ponte" at the Millenium Hilton for Italian food. Ok, they are not run by Italian families but the quality and authencity of the dishes is at a high level.

As for Chinese, the oldest immigrants to Korea are from Fujian province and their children/grandchildren often still run Chinese seafood restaurants in the provincial cities. Fairly tasty (and I've lived in China several years) but high prices, so do check the total before ordering.

In Seoul, the "Chinese" joints at prime locations like Myeng-Dong are pretty bad but there are smallish Chinatowns here and there. The proprietors normally come from either Shandong or the Northeastern provinces and are ethnic Koreans.

Case in point: those weird pie-like creatures w/ sweet potato puree that Koreans call "pizza". Or the fact that Costco is considered a respectable dining establishment. Don't even get me started on Chinese food in Korea, lol.
I don't actually know any good dedicated Pizzeria in Seoul but there are several good ones in the provinces where rents are cheaper and leave more room for experiments.

For Pizza, the Gran Piatto with several locations in Gwangju and elsewhere in Southern Jeolla is the best I've had in Korea apart from the hotel prime eateries listed above. It was launched by two Korean brothers who did the apprenticeship tour in Italy and are for example sourcing their cheese from small producers on Jeju Island.

Korea will never become a food destination like its neighbors Japan, China, etc until Koreans realize most of the non-Korean food they've eaten so far has been crap.
Most middle aged and older Koreans simply prefer their own dishes. When overseas, steak and pasta are about the only things they are able to eat and even then preferably with kimchi and Korean chili paste on the side.

So the market dictates what the non-Korean restaurants can offer. They would be bankrupt rather soon if dishing out "real" foreign food, safer to stay with koreanized versions.

But this is changing with the younger generations and you can find quite authentic Vietnamese etc. places especially in the more expensive areas of Gangnam. More relaxed Japanese Izakaya are also very popular with the local trust fund kids.

And Korean food itself really offers an amazing variety when you get deeper into it.

Last edited by mosburger; Nov 28, 2010 at 6:08 am