FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:20 pm
cyberdad

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I haven't stayed in many SHS, but did recently at IAH which is the 'new' version. Definitely impressed w/ it,
Cheers.
I had my first encounter with the new version at Austin/Round Rock last month. Much like the refresh of the lobby and "bistro" at CY, I'm not sure what the point was. . The original concept was perfectly fine.

I like the brand. I like the concept. But I'm not ready to join the love fest. As has been pointed out by others...some of the older properties appear to have been rather cheaply constructed and/or seem to have gotten a bit shabby before their time. Like others, I've also had issues with the HSIA at some properties. Also the fact that this brand appeals to families, increases the possibility that there'll be teenagers hanging out and hogging the computers in the business center.

Then there's the breakfast spread. Not bad, but which also at some properties seems to have succumbed to the efforts of the cost-cutters. So I can't often disagree with the "cheap spread" designation.

Mrs. Cyberdad also has an issue with what she feels to be the confining nature of the sleeping area, and for that reason won't stay there.

I also agree that what you're getting here is not what many would consider to be a suite, but more like a "studio". A slightly larger room with a partial divider and separate kitchen and work areas. The sleeper sofa as a sofa is relaxing enough....but at some properties opening it to a bed turns your "suite" into an obstacle course!

But for me, the pluses do outweigh the minuses. Nice work area, fridge, microwave, sink (and real glassware), a breakfast which is still free and adequate, if unremarkable. Price-value relationship is usually quite good.

And yes....put one of these in the same neighborhood as a CY, and I'd almost certainly opt for the SHS.