FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:06 pm
vasantn
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by stencil
No, we've all learned great ways to get ug's on domestic segments - as have I. I've also learned - here - time and again that delta does relatively well selling intl BE. I've also learned about I fares. I've also learned about SWUs and M fares. I've also learned about flying BE out of less expensive markets to save some money.

What I have never learned is how to get something valuable for free.
Fair enough, but what you consider free is not really free. It is paid for with loyalty, which translates into dollars.

I fly AA almost exclusively, even if it means paying more to get from LGA to CHS via DFW. Why? Because that loyalty is generously rewarded in the form of international upgrades, which to me are the most important benefit. That probably makes me a more valuable customer than someone who purchases a premium full fare ticket once a year. At least, AA seems to think so since they very often upgrade me (internationally) into seats that could quite likely be sold for cash revenue. Win-win. I see no need to feel inferior to the full-fare pax.

Case in point: My partner and I both got upgraded ORD-PVG (both ways) on a cheapo fare. The outbound is 3 weeks out, and there were only 6 revenue seats remaining in J (now there are 4). Do you really believe that we got upgraded because AA believes us to be freeloading, bloodsucking leeches, or is it because AA sees value in keeping us happy so that we continue to concentrate our flying on AA?

I fully accept that DL's business model is different, which is why I don't fly DL any longer. But to suggest that upgraded pax are somehow inferior to full-fare pax and not entitled to breathe the same air is, frankly, ludicrous and elitist.