FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:11 pm
petepete99

Question Montreal (YUL)

Can somebody help me? I'm a complete Noob at Frequent Flying, I've only recently been fortunate to start travelling with work, so I'd like to take advantage of it. FYI I have already booked tickets home to the UK for Christmas, it's YUL-ORD-LHR-IAD-YUL on a mixture of Air Canada for the Montreal flights and United for the Transatlantic Legs (I booked a package which gave me Code W flights, which I believe go towards miles).

I registered for United Mileage Plus and A/C Aeroplan and when I booked the flights above I had to enter both mileage numbers. I don't know where my miles are going! Are they going to be split up amongst the different plans based on the mileage? Or do I choose when I check in or board at the gate??? (Like I said, NOOB!)

I'm also travelling to NYC with American this Sunday, I also registered for AAdvantage to get these miles. In terms of business stays, I am usually fortunate enough to be able to choose hotels such as Hilton Garden, Marriotts etc which are partners of pretty much all the big airlines. Unfortunately as I booked through Orbitz I don't think I can link my HHonors points to any of them as they're classed as special rates. From now on I'm only going to book packages if they are available on aa.com or united.com or aircanada.com (unless you advise against it).

(1) What is your home airport? Montreal YUL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y,Q,W (the cheapies)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Less than 25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Probably Upgrades, it would be a bonus if I could fly premium economy or business when flying to London and back
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Montreal to U.S probably once a month on business, but also do YUL-LHR twice yearly, to visit family. I may accrue over 25k next year, but to be safe I put less than 25k miles on.
(7) Preferred Airlines. Well I kinda always like the service on American, but their flights are always more expensive and their alliance is small and therefore doesn't give me many options. Plus, my employer usually wants me to go for the cheapest option when travelling so I can't usually choose american, unless it's to NYC, in which case bizarrely it usually works out to be cheapest.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. Travel on a monthly basis from Montreal to the Eastern half of U.S, mostly NYC, Boston etc, usually short hops. Also travel to London twice a year to visit family.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. I'm firing in the dark at the moment