FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - overhead bin luggage size
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:41 pm
dancingbear

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAFA:
[b]
The biggest bag AA gives their flight attendants is 23" long (including the wheels),10" high (at overstuffed capacity, without unzipping the extra zipper that makes it even higher), and is 14 1/2" wide.

That is the maximum sized bag you can buy to make sure it fits top side on any plane that AA flies. The F-100 is a tight squeeze, but it makes it. Naturally, different planes can fit larger bags. This length is the longest bag that will fit wheels first into the new extended sized bins.

If you unzip that extra zipper to make it larger it will not fit on any of our airplanes, except possibly the middle bins on the Bus, and you will be forced to gate check it. That is, if you can get it through the security check point in the first place.
[B]</font>
Those are definitely the magic dimensions.

I've got a bag that's almost exactly that size (10" deep, 14" wide, 23 1/4" long) and it's a *perfect* fit, wheels-first, into the extended MD80 (DEF-side) and 757 bins. It's a hair too long for the 737 bins, though, so it has to ride sideways on the 73 (as with the standard, non-extended MD80 bins).

This bag has lots of pockets so I have to watch what I pack.. I can usually get away with overstuffing it somewhat, but when I overdo it, I need a battering ram to get it into the MD80 or F100 bins!!

(If you've got a just-over-10"-deep bag and you find yourself boarding an old MD80 with the standard bins, be aware that the bin doors are badly designed - you probably won't have any trouble getting the bag in, but you'll have a devil of a time getting it out: the edge of the door, when fully open,
will catch the top part of your bag, preventing its removal. Close the bin-door halfway and you'll be able to finesse your bag out of the bin.)

Edited to concur with the original poster: I don't think this bag, even though it's withing the "magic dimensions" specified by AAFA, will fit in the bins over the center seats on a 767. I've always had to put it in a bin over a window seat. (It *looks* like it should fit, but somehow I don't think I've ever managed it.)

[This message has been edited by dancingbear (edited Mar 13, 2004).]