FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electric cart offer to plat/exp...I'm shocked!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 5:23 pm
AuAAdvantage

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Electric cart offer to plat/exp...I'm shocked!

Exiting the jetway from an AE flight at ORD the other day (connecting to mainline in another concourse) I was greeted by an AA manager (?) who was asking for me by name. I figure it's an offer of mental counseling for mileage runners, but instead he says how much AA appreciates my business and that of other Plats and EXPs (I don't recall him mentioning Gold, but maybe I missed it, or maybe there were no Golds on the flight...he had a list). He then offers me a ride on an AA electric cart (there were already two others sitting in it, I assume AAdvantage elites) to the concourse I need to connect at. I said no thanks, but I appreciate the offer. I did so because my flight wasn't for 2 hrs, I needed the exercise after the AE flight, ORD is one of the best airports for number/variety of stores, and, lastly, I didn't want to be one of Seinfeld's "cart people". I was shocked (pleasantly) at AA's offer. I don't know if this is something new or if they've always done it. If so, I never witnessed it. Maybe I should have asked if he had Budweiser on the cart (recalling my favorite commercial from the 80s for Budweiser beer) It just goes to show how AA can show, in a very effective and almost cost-free manner, how they appreciate our business, even if we're on an "L" fare! This is the exact opposite from my former experiences with DL. They made it very clear to all those who flew on LUT fares, that they didn't need us, we can stick our business where "the sun don't shine" and if we wanted to leave, not to let the door hit us in the butt on the way out! In other words, you've been "enhanced"! It simply amazes me that two major carriers can have such different attitudes towards their customers. As soon as I got to my gate a few concourses over, I called my wife and mentioned what had happened. I was truly flabbergasted! Way to go AA!
(Now if they would just mail my new AAdvantage Platinum card to me, so I won't have to keep using last year's Gold card!)