FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Gold versus Platinum
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:39 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl17
I understand what everyone has cited as a Platinum benefit except the 48 hour guarantee. What does that mean?
As a Plat Rewards Member, I can get a reservation at any hotel up to 48-hours ahead of check-in, certain restrictions apply. Some hotels have some blackout dates, and you wind up paying the top rate, but sometimes this is the difference between being on the street for the night and having a room. There have been threads on this board lately bemoaning a couple things: some think there has been an increase in blackout dates and if a hotel has turned over booking to a third party for a special event (the third party has basically booked the entire hotel) the guaranty does not apply. Personally, I average three situations a year where the guaranty saves me. Only once could I not get into a specific hotel, but I was able to get into a nearby Marriott property when a city was completely booked.

One more thing: Has anyone mentioned the EEO certificates? If you stay a Thursday, Friday or Saturday at a JW, Ren or FS, you can get a free second night. The certificate is available about 2/3 of the year, with breaks between certificate dates when it is not available. In another thread, people are bemoaning that the list of ineligible properties has grown in the most recent timeframe and that no NYC properties are available. Someone at Marriott told me it is just for this certificate because of people going to NYC to shop and see holiday stuff. There isn't available inventory. I use the certificates several times a year. Note, the certificates can be transferred, so you don't have to be Plat to use the cert, but being Plat makes it easier and makes it easier to sent the cert to friends and family.

Last edited by CJKatl; Nov 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm