FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Request: better-than-average rental car (compact or mid-size) at LAX - Alamo or other
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:15 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dagrin
The bottom line is, if you need a nicer car, then reserve one accordingly. If not, go in and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to ask nicely for an upgrade as you sometimes may get it.
Bribing rental agents works, since they work on commission and have plenty of leeway on pricing.

To get a good price on an upgrade, act like price is a MAJOR factor for you. Don't look too eager to pay for an upgrade, since they will pick up on this and quote a higher price. Look interested at what they have available but then do something like wince and ask how much it is. When they quote a price, tell them, "That's a bit more than I was planning on spending."

Or, you can play the bargaining method and try to get a free upgrade. Say, "I was thinking about buying the collision coverage (and/or the prepaid fuel option). If I get coverage, can you get me a nicer car?" The agent wants something--anything--from you, so this is a good way of getting two products for the price of one. (Prepaid gas is a good one, because you're going to need to buy gas for the car anyway, so it really won't cost you anything extra to buy prepaid gas and return the car empty--and you'll get a free upgrade out of it.)

Heck, bring them a $10 Starbucks gift card and say that you have this extra gift card if you can get a nicer car. Kinda tacky, but it could work.

Don't just outright ask for a free upgrade without offering something in exchange. You'll just make the agent roll their eyes at you and will probably ensure you get the smallest, crappiest car in your reserved car class that happens to be parked on the farthest end of the lot.