FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:08 pm
patk

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by azepine00
BlissWorld,

I am EXP on AA and 1K on UA but next year I am dropping EXP (after about 25K on AA this year). Aside from the route structure (LAX based) several important aspects play in UA favor: AA does not have UDU for a companion, E+, *A is much better than OW both from earning and redeeming standpoints, ability to use SWUs on LH and a few other features. The biggest point for AA was EVIPs - usable on all fares and 8 of them.
Same here (1K + EXP). E+ is huge, huge, huge, and by far the biggest factor for me (well, that and I'm in DEN and AA has almost no presence here). However, exit row on the maddog is pretty good when my UG doesn't clear (only happened once this year), and I've always been able to get exit row. But I prefer OW by far over *A, especially the FCL access, able to check-in using the FC line, etc, when on international travel. When I fly OW (such as CX/KA), I usually get served before others, and I'm usually singled out/thanked by the pursuer for being OW emerald as well. OW carriers take very good care of their top-tiers, even if it's a different airline.

Also, if you are tall like me (6"5"), the new UA business seats are way too small. I can't lie flat at all, I actually prefer AA J to UA C just for the size. Even though AA J seats aren't true lie-flat, at least I can dangle my feet off the edge

As for routing: UA does have more international flights on UA metal, but flying OW, my miles count to AA lifetime status even if it's not AA, so I don't care which metal I fly on OW. CX to HKG knocks the socks off of UA (or AA via NRT for that matter), period.

AA's presence into europe is OK. I can get to where I need to go on AA metal (usually FRA, LHR, BCN) and I if I need to go anywhere else, I can get there on BA or IB after connecting in Europe, it's not bad at all.

So I really don't think AA has an issue with presence in Europe/Asia with partners like CX/BA which have very good networks in their markets. The biggest drawback to AA's lack of AA-metal presence is not being able to use the SWU's on OW airlines. If you could use the SWU/eVIP on OW airlines, then AA would have a home-run.

Also, my SWU success on AA is very high, I can pretty much get F on any flight unless I do a last minute booking. Not so good luck on UA since GS is above 1K. For example, I have never been able to upgrade on UA to F to HKG or TPE, too many GS folks trump a 1K.

Lastly, AA EXP desk just knocks the socks off of 1K. It's really not even close... I'm usually on hold 5-10 minutes when calling 1K, but I can get through to the EXP line immediately.