FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)
Old Apr 18, 2003, 7:53 am
Pakse

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Hmm...never considered myself a greedy SOB, but I've gotten some compensation for some inconviences. I fully agree AA never had to do it, and of all the vendors I deal with in the various aspects of my life, AA certainly has provided more in the sense of 'customer service' than any who come to mind.

Date: Feb 02
Advantage Status: PLT
Fare class: J
What happened: Many flights delayed out of LGA, after some schedule changes (to get me home sooner) the flight I ended up on was delayed by both weather and because a baggage cart rammed the plane (that's what the pilot said).
Compensation: 10k miles
Comments: I never asked for compensation, it just showed up in my account one day. A week later I got a letter from Customer Service apologizing for the delay.

Date: Apr 02
AAdvantage Status: PLT
What happened: Late arrival on AC in ORD caused me to miss my connection.
Compensation: Checking in at the AC, the nice Scottish lady noting that I now had a two hour delay gave me a $20.00 voucher for food. I didn't ask for it, I just checked into the AC.
Comments:

Date: Sep 02
AAdvantage Status: PLT
What happened: Ticked was booked in YUP26, seat was confirmed. When I checked in I found I was sitting in a middle seat in the back of the plane. Not wanting to argue with the check-in person (for some reason it took me over 30 minutes to check in, the guy kept running to the back a few times). Anyway, once I got to the gate and found my flight was delayed 2 hours I decided to call customer service. I explained the situation, and asked if possible for an explination as to why I wasn't sitting in F (I was polite, as I did not then understand the fare code fully and figured it might be a space-avalible thing and wasn't *****ing - just wanted an explination).
Compensation: Seat upgraded to F and was given a $100.00 voucher (I have no idea why they gave me the money...in fact...I just remembered this - I wonder if it's expired by now...).
Comments: Since I didn't ask for either of the comps, I was shocked at the offer from the CS person (by the way, spent a good 30 minutes on hold as the CS person could not understand why I wasn't sitting in F and spent a bit of time checking it out).

Date: Feb 03
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: F
What happened: 3 out of the 4 seats in F we flew were broken (no recline, numerous problems). I did write an email complaining about the seats.
Compensation: 10k miles, which I was quite happy to accept. Note: This time I did complain.

For what it matters I had over 130k total butt-in-the-seat miles with AA in 02. With a total of 190 some segments (lots and lots of short-haul domestic).

I think AA's customer service is fantastic. Given the way they have treated me, I'm happy to book all possible flights with them (as I do).

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Edited to convert my HTML style tags < /> into UBB [ /] style tags.

[This message has been edited by Pakse (edited 04-19-2003).]