FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q1 2011 - Hilton Honors Promotion
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:31 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
I wouldn't be impressed with this promo as most of my stays are typically 1 or 2 nights. However, I can see that this would benefit "night elites" or "point elites" as opposed to "stay elites". If this promo were true it could signal a shift in Hilton promos ideology from ones that encourage hotel hopping (such as the free cert after x number of stays) to promos that encourage longer stays (such as the current promo). Perhaps there is a backlash from hotel owners who have seen too many 1 night-hotel hopping guests.
The whole Hilton program, not just the last few promos, encourages 1-night stays, because of Points + Miles, especially for those who use Points + Fixed Miles. Even though the Points part may go up with multi-night stays, the Fixed Miles part never does (and for Southwest, you can't do Variable Miles!).

So I've always hotel-hopped with Hilton because of the + Miles part, not because of the promo part. In fact, after many years of being in Hilton HHonors, I only did my first two-night stay at a Hilton HHonors property this past fall, due to the Sundays promo. (It took 4x points to overcome the fact that I would earn half the Southwest credits with this promo. I don't even know if 2x points would have done it.)

Furthermore, a lot of my trips where I can use Hilton HHonors properties are road trips where each night is hours of driving past the previous night, and so promo or no promo, staying even just 2 nights is usually out of the question. This one case I mentioned in the previous paragraph was a rare exception, where one town was in the middle of where I was traveling, and so was reasonably accessible for two nights a row. But I couldn't make it three nights (due to where I was on previous and successive nights), no matter how much I might have wanted more points.

(I need three consecutive hotel nights many weeks of the year in Orange County CA, but they're all paid on my own dime, and Hilton HHonors is these days never at all price competitive with, say, Priority Club in the Anaheim area. So I can't justify spending $$$/night instead of $$/night just to earn triple HHonors points, especially when the Priority Club promos are even better.)