FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Request: better-than-average rental car (compact or mid-size) at LAX - Alamo or other
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm
dagrin

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
I am a little confused as to your question.

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
My friend had once rented a compact from Enterprise and got a BMW 328i for his troubles.
What troubles? If there is a problem there is a chance that a car may be upgraded, but obviously getting upgraded from a compact to a BMW is probably one in a million.

Right now I have a 6-day deal at Alamo for $98 for a compact - any chance they have something other than a Versa on the lot?
The most common response that people will tell you, is that, if you want a nicer car, then the way to do it is pay for it. That said, I always reserve the cheapest car and play it by ear once I get to the rental counter. Sometimes, if you ask nicely they may give you something nicer. Be reasonable though; from a compact car, there is only so much that you can be upgraded.

Or does it vary so much that my question is pointless?
I would say that there is no consistency at all between any two rentals even at the same location, so it would be hard for anyone to give you a definite answer.

The bottom line is, if you need a nicer car, then reserve one accordingly. If not, go in and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to ask nicely for an upgrade as you sometimes may get it.