FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:49 pm
ldsant
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by banzani
just so to provide a different perspective:

During our recent stay we had no problem whatsoever to find the place. If you read this then you know it is on 41st (Library Way), about 25 yards in from 5th Avenue. I live in Europe, and my last visit to NY has been some years ago, but no problems, really. We also had no problem operating the light switch. No, I am not an engineer, and not a techie, either. We also had no problem whatsoever to tell that a host was a host and not a guest. The hosts are the people that hang around the square table in the middle of the foyer working on laptops. We found this quite obvious.

I don't want to step on anybodies toes, but I think it is only fair that people who read this thread get a balanced set of opinions and reviews. In my opinion it really comes down to whether you are an Andaz-liking type of guest or not. And, if you are willing to tolerate a few shortcomings of a (still) new hotel that is trying out a different concept.
We all have different experiences. This is my 4th Andaz experience in the last 6 months. I am a fan of the concept. Prior to checking out today I asked to speak with the GM. He was off-site. However; his assistant came down and with the front desk manager I explained the various issues that plagued this stay. None of them were "major;" per se - but all of the little issues just added up. His graciousness in listening was greatly appreciated. Never once interrupted what I discussed. BTW - when I asked for a late check-out this morning I was told that 11 AM was the checkout time. When I mentioned "As a Diamond I think I get a late check-out time, right?" She said "OK - 1 PM." When in fact, Diamond members can ask for a 2 PM checkout. I just think this has nothing to do with "if you're an Andaz-liking guest or not" but has to do with total lack of customer service on basic things. As I mentioned, I was impressed with the GM's assistant - he really did seem concerned about the issues that I raised with him and the front desk person.