FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why two Mileage Balance numbers on the View My Miles page?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:19 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why two Mileage Balance numbers on the View My Miles page?

This is something that has perplexed me for years now, and I figured I would finally post it here for some thoughts.

The number of miles on my Mileage Summary is different from that on my Ending Balance, by about 4K. This means I have more miles available for awards than I appear to have earned. Can anyone explain this anomoly?

Just to be clear, on the View My Miles page, down the left column, there is a set of numbers which talleys our Mileage Summary: all miles earned to date, YTD Elite Qualifying Miles, etc. There is a line that reads: Miles with Expiration Deferred Through 1/09/07. This is where the higher number first appears, and once again under the final category: Total Available Award Mileage.

Yet when I look at the right hand side of the page, under View My Miles, Starting Balance and Ending Balance, I see the lower mileage number.

Now I realize being a long time AA member [since 1989] means I have earned miles back when they used to expire. And that a certain number of those miles were rolled over to expire at a later date. But I have also now made several award withdrawals, so would have assumed any of these "old, expiring" miles would have been removed, and all my current miles banked would have come from travel and credit card charges made in the past couple of years, when there was no expiry.

So, can anyone explain why the two different balances? I am sure everyone else has the same discrepancy on their account statement pages.