FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My recent experience with TSA pat down
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:06 pm
JumboD

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I believe that a TSO previously posted on this site that a person has the right to keep their personal possessions in sight at all times, if this is the case, then the TSO who wanted to walk off with the OP’s wallet and watch for additional screening was violating SOP. I also believe that retaliation or threats are against SOP as well

That would also have shown up on the video tapes and grounds for a complaint.

From what I have been reading on these forums, I think the best course of action when you think a TSO is out of line or retaliating against you is to stop any conversation with the TSO, immediately ask for an LEO and the FSD, don’t get involved with any of the LTSO or STSO’s that show up, they are just one or 2 pay grades up from a TSO, probably former TSO themselves and all they will do is back up the TSO, because if not, it then looks bad on them especially since they are the TSO’s immediate supervisors there.

The reason for immediately asking for a LEO before any other communications between you and the TSO’s, I would tell the LEO that I don’t trust these people one second from making up stories and lying to protect themselves, it's to keep them honest.

The less you say to these people, the less ammunition they have to use against you when they go on their ego driven power trips with their threats of “Do you want to fly today” I wonder if that phrase is in their SOP manual, in all probability we will never know, it’s SSI.

If I am asked why I am opting out, which I believe they are not allowed to ask your reason why, I just say “My choice”, if they continue to pursue the matter, just tell them “you are violating SOP and I want to talk to your FSD now and get a complaint form”.

Before any pat down, If I can not see my personal belongings, I will ask that they be immediately be brought over to me or within view, if they refuse, then its “You are violating SOP, I want an LEO and your FSD here right now” and totally ignore any LTSO or STSO that shows up, other than requesting that they get a complaint form that you personally intend to hand over to the FSD.

From what I understand, the FSD is the management person in charge at that location and hopefully is more level headed and will be able to get the situation under control to everyone’s satisfaction.

So again, if you feel that a TSO had stepped way out of line, immediately ask for an LEO and the FSD, and do and say nothing else until they both show up. Personally I think that as soon as the TSO hears the words, LEO , FSD, & video tape in one sentence, they will back down.

Happiness is a TSO, LTSO or STSO being led away in handcuffs charged with assault or theft.

Mr. Elliott
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does FSD stand for? All I know is that if I have to "opt out" on the 24th and am asked to surrender watch and wallet there is going to be an issue that will likely transpire according to your outline above.