FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:02 am
tkey75
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Ellie M
I just looked up UA's contract of carriage. It's 49 pages, written in all caps. The only time security is mentioned is on page 9, one sentence.

Not only is this one sentence largely hidden in the middle of an unreadable contract, you don't have to read it when purchasing a ticket. I don't know that having this hidden statement in a contract you're not required to read before purchasing a ticket could be considered informed consent to something as invasive as a strip search or patdown.

The statement also only says they will not carry people "who refuses to permit search . . . ." It does not specify that you have to permit any sort of search for explosives. Because it doesn't specify what type of search, I think an argument could be made that any consent you might be giving to be searched is to a "reasonable search."
And yet the contract exists.

You're not required to read any contract.

Would you really be surprised to have your airline tell you they refuse to transport you if you refused, say, a gate search?

The TSO considers enhanced pat downs to be reasonable. If you don't, there's a legal system for that.