FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Elite worth $240? (And is the 35k figure a hard stop?)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:11 pm
NewToCanada

I don't know, I'm just going to throw this out there, but I'm not sure you should bother at all. I agree with the others that if you're going to spend the money, energy, and time to do a MR, you should make sure to hit the 35K. But the question is, is it worth it?

It will presumably cost you more than $240. And it will be a real time suck. You say you're a slave to your job so I'd think weekends and free time in general would be precious. Unless you have an old friend or old flame or something you want to visit, flying for flying's sake seems to me a waste of precious money and especially precious free time. You'll end your weekend more exhausted than you began it!

I realize I'm going against the grain of most FT folks and of course this is all a personal decision. But here's my thinking.

Presumably you're already Prestige, which means you already get early boarding and get to skip long security lines as a *S. You already get to skip the long hold times when you call reservations. You already get priority standby. So what will you miss if you stay at that level and don't get Elite? Two SSWU (the other upgrades are useless if you fly low classes; and if you don't you can use the upgrades you already get as a Prestige). Special baggage tags which are more or less hit and miss. I don't even bother asking for them when the agents forget. And then the lounges, which personally I value a lot.

So I think maybe in your shoes I would put the money you were going to spend on a mileage run toward purchasing a MLL pass (or a United or whatever) and then enjoy the lounges. And especially enjoy the weekend you just bought yourself, which you'll never ever get back!

Just my two cents. As I say, totally a personal call.