FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:58 am
QF32

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Originally Posted by number_6
I guess the better question is why RR service directives issued months ago calling for engine inspections were not implemented yet -- until there was a catastrophic failure. Perhaps cost is causing safety to be compromised, with inspections postponed until they are more convenient and cost-effective ... until there is an incident. RR and the airlines have a lot to answer for, and the regulatory bodies have to re-evaluate how much leeway to allow airlines in their day to day operations.

As you point out, this is not the first serious problem, and it won't be the last. The process for ensuring airplane safety has been compromised, with incidents like QF74 and even the QF oxygen cylinder incident (which has not been fully understood/explained to date). QF is far better than average; this is a budding airline industry problem. The predictive model being used for maintenance is becoming incongruent with actual results; something has to change.

Has the 9th A380 been engined yet? My info is no. Perhaps you have better data?
Airbus here in Sydney are gearing up to receive 3 in very quick succession. I don't think this event will slow down delivery. Believe me its very impressive what these guys here do.

As you note the AD is probably the big question - if this event relates to the AD then there will be some serious questions asked, but as yet we don't know. We also don't know what inspections had been done prior. Like all other events, lessons will be learnt which will make flying even more safe.