FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:40 pm
time2go1st

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Just returned from 2 nites at this property and have to say, I found it uncomfortable. Was it supposed to have been renovated recently? I'd say it needs another one, or a more thorough one. I do understand that older properties have little quirks built into them, but some things here were just not good: 1) heating/ac system wheezed loudly all nite long, I tend to prefer real quiet in the middle of the nite; and 2) entrance door did not fit the door frame, there were big gaps through which hallway noise AND LIGHT filtered, so the room was never really dark for sleeping. I mean, come on, we're not in the 19th century anymore, at these rates I think one should rightly expect certain minimum standards of modern comfort even in a "historic" property. Oh and yes -- fabric on the desk chair and bench were badly soiled and stained, not appealing to sit on. This is luxury?

On the plus side, the staff were all very nice and helpful; and location cannot be beat, a block to the Dupont Circle Metro, great walking, Phillips right there and tons of nearby eateries etc. But still -- you could have all that in a much more physically comfortable facility a block away on P Street; not Westins to be sure, but for me anyhow comfort will trump loyalty and/or "atmosphere" every time. Had originally wanted the Westin Grand but ended up here when that was booked; won't repeat that experience.