FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:32 pm
snod08

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Good post.

As a vegetarian, I seldom order a veg meal on an airplane because they're usually so crummy - no matter what class of service. When I have ordered veg meals I seldom expect them to fully get them right though. (And I subscribe to the previous mentioned idea that it's an airplane, not a restaurant so I live with it.) Many people eat fish yet call themselves vegetarians. They aren't, but they create a lot of confusion for others, including caterers. I've received yogurt that contains gelatin in it as part of a veg meal on a plane. I was just happy it was labeled so I knew not to eat it.

I'd likely let DL know their dressing wasn't veg so that it's an educational opportunity (and it can't be too tough for the caterers to swap in a vinaigrette), but I also would be happy it was labeled so I could opt to eat my salad without it.
Well said.
I pay a lot of attention to what I am getting on a flight for a veggie meal. If there are no labels on something, i ask the FA's. Sometimes, they have a description of the ingredients (esp on CO domestic F meals).

If I dont know what I am getting, then i simply wont eat it. Of course, I will be prepared with some alternate things to eat.
Or simply starve (i have done that too on TATL flights).

Originally Posted by Opositive
What a spectacular solution! Only serve pork on the Tel Aviv route. Only serve beef on the way to Mumbai. Stock up PEK to SFO with nothing but dog stew. That way everybody is equal. Nobody can complain about their special meal. I'm sure that'll be a crowd pleaser.

You should join the Delta customer satisfaction team. Everyone would go hungry on their long-haul flights but at least their complaint letters would have excellent spelling and grammar!

Honestly people, there are some cultures and lifestyles in the world that don't rely on fried chicken and biscuits for 99% of their nutritional needs. Delta is a global airline. It has global passengers. Those passengers are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and (gasp!) vegetarian and vegan.

The point of this thread is that there is a standard, well accepted definition of the what is kosher, what is lacto-vegetarian, what is vegan, etc, etc, etc. When DL represents that a meal meets one of those well-defined standards then DL needs to make certain it does. If DL served up kosher meals out of JFK with a salad dressing that contained pork there would be hell to pay - and rightly so.

The point is that the airline is making a representation about what's in the meal when they serve it to you. If that representation is false it's a problem, period. There's no "you should have looked closer". There's no "they really don't have to give you a special meal" at all.

What this is about is a company telling you one thing and delivering something else. That's a complaint no matter what. If DL was shorting the truth on upgrades there would be 2,000 posts on here within 12 hours. I don't see how this is any different. The OP asked for something, Delta told him they complied, it turned out they didn't. It's a valid complaint and I hope DL will make it right.

Cheers,
OPos.
^